The Plan...

The plan...

Each Saturday, Mike and Jonathan make a special trip to a local grocery store and pick two "mystery" items. Benjamin and I then look for recipes and ways to use these items in one meal on the following evening (Sunday). Not only will this allow us to try new foods and recipes, but it's a lot of fun! So, I have 24 hours or less to prepare a meal using these two ingredients in a fun and sometimes unusual way.

I do most of the menu planning and cooking. Benjamin is my sous chef, a job he throughly enjoys.

Melissa

Monday, March 28, 2011

Week 2

Mystery Ingredients:  Kielbasa and Cream Cheese

Another successful meal!  This week Benjamin and I made Jambalaya and Cream Cheese Biscuits.  I've always wanted to make jambalaya but have been quite intimidated by the mere name alone.  It just sounds hard!  But, that is what this challenge is all about.  Plus, Benjamin found this recipe and has been begging me to try it.  The recipe calls for polish sausage, but I felt that kielbasa would be an acceptable substitution.

At about 5:15 on Sunday night, I decided to start preparing the jambalaya.  I thought it would need to cook for awhile and there was quite a bit of prep work.  We also eat kind late (around 6:30).  As I read more closely through the recipe, I realized it was a slow cooker recipe!!!  That needed to cook for 6-7 hours!!!  I had read over this recipe three or four times and didn't see this one minor detail.  But, the show had to go on.  This was not going to stop me from making our jambalaya.  I realized the cook time was necessary to fully cook the meats so I decided to saute them before adding them to the big old pot that I was going to need to make the jambalaya.  Problem solved.  The only other change I had to make to prepare the meal on the stove top versus slow cooker was to add some tomato sauce (which I fortunately had on hand).  Slow cookers keep moisture in, stove top cooking does not.  I might actually add more tomato sauce the next time.

After I got the "soup" ingredients added and it had started to simmer, I called Benjamin in from outside where his little brother was beating him in a basketball game (okay, Jonathan had a little help from Mike) to cut up the kielbasa.


I then sautéed the sliced kielbasa in Benjamin's non-stick skillet.  Yes, it's his.  I purchased some cooking items for him when he decided to learn how to be the next great Iron Chef.  His skillet (which I use all the time) and his knife are the best in the house.  The knife is the one he's using in the picture above.  Notice they are both red...which is one of Eden Prairie's school colors.  Not a coincidence.  And, as Chef Anne Burrell would say, Benjamin needs to work on his knife skills.  As you will notice, the slices of kielbasa are of varying sizes.


While Benjamin was cutting up the kielbasa, I started the rice.  If you do not have a rice cooker and eat a lot of rice, buy one.  The way a rice cooker cooks rice cannot be achieved when cooking on the stove top.  Mike made fun of me for purchasing yet another kitchen appliance, but it was on clearance :)  Love it!


Now it was time to make the biscuits.  They only take 12 minutes to bake and they are best warm, so we waited until the jambalaya was simmering nicely to make the biscuits.  I mixed up the dough and Benjamin cut them out.  He really wanted to roll out the dough as well, so I let him give it a try.  He ended up having biscuit dough all over the palms of his hands and the dough was stuck to the rolling mat.  I decided he should stick with just cutting out the biscuits.  Yes, he also has a red apron.  It has a picture of a cow and says "Udderly Delicious".  The only non-girly apron we could find.  And, we thought it as funny.


As Benjamin was finishing up the biscuits, I added the cooked rice and shrimp to the jambalaya.  It looked so good!


As we waited, we made some salads (our family eats a lot of salad).  It was soon time to eat!  Our Chopped Week 2 meal was complete.


It was so good!!!  There was a lot of jambalaya, but by the end of the meal there was so little left that it wasn't worth saving.  Jonathan learned how to pull the tails off shrimp, which he found quite entertaining.  The kielbasa tasted just like smoked sausage, and the biscuits were super light and fluffy.  The biscuit was the only thing Jake ate from the meal, which was no surprise to any of us.  Another success and a couple more recipes that have been given the "keeper" status.

Next week's mystery ingredients:  Cheetos and Grapes.  Mike thought he was being funny by selecting Cheetos but I did warn him that he has to eat anything I make out of them.  Once again, I already have my meal planned.

3 comments:

  1. Melissa
    This is great! Please share about how much the rice maker is. I think we might need to budget for one if they are that good, because Olivia loves rice. Also, what kind of knife is that for which Benjamin uses?
    I can't wait to see what you do with cheetos and grapes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Christi - I think I paid about $23 for the rice cooker and it was originally around $35, I think. You can get a rice cooker for just about any price - really cheap or really expensive. As for Benjamin's knife, I have no idea what brand it is and it's definitely not a chid's knife. I bought it at Home Goods and it has a cover on it so we just keep it in our utensils door so he can easily access it.

    I'm very excited about my Cheetos meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like another stellar meal! Can't wait to see what your Cheeto recipe is for next week :)!

    ReplyDelete